View From The Stalls Blog 8


View From The Stalls 8

 

A guy approached me in a mall the other day and the first thing he said to me was “you’re the jacket guy aren’t you, I bought jackets from you in Bloemfontein about 5 years ago, I never forget a face, where’ve you been man?” Wow, “firstly, yes I am the jacket guy”, I responded. “Secondly, it’s been almost 7 years since I last traded in Bloemfontein”. 

Turns out he was on business in Cape Town and that he had bought jackets for his wife and young children from me at the Bloemfontein show, an event that I had participated at for 20 straight years…that was until 2016.


Now the South African show circuit had always appealed to me, largely because of the potential of increased sales, and the excitement of travel and trading in new and different locations. There were never more than 3 or 4 traders from the mother city who ventured into the interior in the early 90’s, so I regarded myself as a sort of pioneer. The Rand Easter Show was my first back in 1993, and what a revelation it was! So much so that I returned there annually for the following 22 years. 


I established a presence at the Bloemfontein, Kimberley, Royal, Randfontein, and numerous other shows and festivals in every province. They were truly exciting and profitable times. On the downside though, it meant being away from home for long periods of time. Fortunately, my wife accompanied me on some occasions, so at the very least I was assured of some home cooked meals, away from home. 


But Bloemfontein show was undoubtedly my favourite. I think it’s the people. Down to earth, unpretentious, wholesome folk, both black and white who have an amazing tolerance of each other. Some come from rural areas in the Free State, others from the Bloem. suburbs. The exhibitors were corporates, small formal businesses, and informal traders. Business was always good, and friendships blossomed. To this day I communicate regularly with dear friends I met there in 1998.


Nowadays there are many more Capetonian informal traders who travel the long roads to national shows. Only difference is, they do it because they cannot survive on informal markets anymore. 

The pie has gotten too small for everyone to get a fair share. As for me, long distance driving is anathema to my physical health. My arthritis won’t allow me to drive comfortably for long periods, and my eyesight’s not as it used to be. But make no mistake. I truly miss those shows. It was such a rush! But, all good things come to an end…

Take care my peeps, catch you on the nines…



~ By Q-Squared


Popular posts from this blog

View From The Stalls Blog 7 - Prince of darkness, a.k.a. Eskom.

View from the stalls Blog 12